Be the change you want to see in this world

"Winning starts in the mind. Whatever the mind can conceive, it will achieve."
-Joaquin Nangauta Naputi

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hafa Adai! As part of my commitment to continue to share cultural poems relating to our beautiful island of Guam and its people, here’s Korasón Poem #38 titled Funerals. Enjoy!

Funerals

Losing a loved one is tough
Especially if you’re part of the immediate family.
I remember when my Tata* died
I had to wear a red outfit
As well as my brothers and and my sister.
My mom and dad wore black
Along with my tihus yan tihas*.
I didn’t shed a tear
Because I wanted to show everyone I was strong
But that didn’t last for too long.
It was one of the saddest moments in my life
Because the time had come for me to say goodbye.
Adios Tata*
Adios yan memorias
I know I’ll meet you some day
When my time comes to join you in heaven above.

© mnrivera and ltgumataotao

*Tata: father
*tihus yan tihas: uncles and aunts
*Adios Tata: Goodbye father
*Adios yan memorias: Goodbye and memories.

Note: Although Tata literally translates to father, in this poem, it is affectionately referred to such for grandfather, based on her personal experience.


Source: Our Native Daughters’ Reflection of Guam and Its People by Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera and Lois Taitano Gumataotao

No comments: