Be the change you want to see in this world

"Winning starts in the mind. Whatever the mind can conceive, it will achieve."
-Joaquin Nangauta Naputi

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hafa Adai! As part of my commitment to continue to share cultural poems relating to our beautiful island of Guam and its people, here’s Korasón Poem #40 titled Sister Dear. Enjoy!

Sister Dear

Who could imagine that I’d have a sister like you?
A sister I admire and happen to love too.
Although you’re three years younger than me
I’ve learned so much from you, My Dear Chelu*
I’ve learned that having a sister can be so wonderful
Having someone to lean on when I’m feeling blue
Having someone to confide my secrets with
And just knowing that I am not alone.

Remember when you were 10 and I was 13?
I told you to give Nana* the strawberries
Which was topped with whip cream.
Well, she never saw whip cream in her whole life
And she thought it was shaving cream!
Remember when I saw dad kissing mom on the porch?
We couldn’t help but laugh and you shouted,
“Oh my gosh! Look!”

I admit that we’ve had our fights
We even called each other disgusting names.
Yet we somehow always managed
To suddenly be friends once again,
And, without a doubt,
Be the best friends sisters could be!

So Sister Dear
Remember that I’ll always remember
The precious times we’ve shared
And you will always hold a special place in my heart.
I love you girl!
© mnrivera and ltgumataotao

*Chelu: sister, *Nana: mother


Source: Our Native Daughters’ Reflection of Guam and Its People by Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera and Lois Taitano Gumataotao

No comments: