Be the change you want to see in this world

"Winning starts in the mind. Whatever the mind can conceive, it will achieve."
-Joaquin Nangauta Naputi

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Image source: www.guampedia.com


Hafa Adai!
As part of my commitment to continue to share cultural poems relating to our beautiful island of Guam and its people, here’s Korasón Poem #16 titled The Guam Seal. Enjoy!

The Guam Seal


As I reflect on my love for Guam –
Dangkulo i Korasón hu’ para i guinaiya ko ni islako.
I often ponder on the island’s powerful symbols
And in particular, I’m reminded of
The many wonders of the Guam Seal.

I’m reminded of the shape of the Guam Seal
Portraying the outline of the sling stone
Which was used as a weapon.
I’m reminded of the flying proa built by the Chamorros
Portraying the fast and agile transportation
Used in Guam’s waters.
I’m reminded of the trongkon niyok*
Portraying self-sustenance and survival
Under any circumstance.
I’m reminded of the river
Portraying the willingness to share
The resources of the land with others.
I’m reminded of the land mass
Portraying the commitment to the environment,
Be it sea or land.
I’m reminded of the red stripe
Which surrounds the Guam Seal
Portraying the blood shed by Guam’s people.
I’m reminded of the field of blue
Portraying the island’s unity with the sea and sky.

But most of all,
I’m reminded, of how we, as a people,
Unite as one,
To conquer strife,
No matter what may come our way.
Biba Chamorro!
Biba Guahan!
© mnrivera and ltgumataotao

*Dangkulo i Korasón hu’ para i guinaiya ko ni islako: My heart grows for the love of my island
*proa: seagoing canoe
*trongkon niyok: coconut tree
*Biba Chamorro: Hurray Chamorro!
*Biba Guahan: Hurray Guam!

Source: Our Native Daughters’ Reflection of Guam and Its People by Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera and Lois Taitano Gumataotao

No comments: