Be the change you want to see in this world

"Winning starts in the mind. Whatever the mind can conceive, it will achieve."
-Joaquin Nangauta Naputi

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, September 15, 2008

My Guela

Hafa Adai! As part of my commitment to continue to share cultural poems relating to our beautiful island of Guam and its people, here’s Korasón Poem #25 titled Guela Dear. Enjoy!

Guela Dear

Guela* Dear
I love you so
For being there for all of us, always.

Our babysitter
Our instant Bible
Our master chef
Our shopaholic
Our Santa Claus all year long.
The list goes on,
My Guela Dear.
But no matter what
We will always treasure
How you loved us with all your heart and soul!

So, if I haven’t told you lately
I want you to know
That we all love you,
We truly do…
And we’ll never forget
How you shaped our lives
To be true to ourselves and others
And strive to live by God’s Word, in all that we do.
© mnrivera and ltgumataotao

*Guela: Grandma


Source: Our Native Daughters’ Reflection of Guam and Its People by Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera and Lois Taitano Gumataotao

No comments: