Be the change you want to see in this world

"Winning starts in the mind. Whatever the mind can conceive, it will achieve."
-Joaquin Nangauta Naputi

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, November 03, 2008


Hafa Adai! As part of my commitment to continue to share cultural poems relating to our beautiful island of Guam and its people, here’s Korasón Poem #42 titled Dos Chelus. Enjoy!

Dos Chelus

Who could believe I’d have two lovable brothers?
One is just a year older than me
And the other is two years younger.

I admit that my brothers were literally brats at times
And I loved it when they got in trouble for picking on me.
But as the years went by, things changed.

Sure, they were the ones who hid my dolls
And often they teased and pulled my hair
But I learned to forgive them
For they turned out to be my heroes in life.

I remember one day at Merizo Elementary School
When a bully pulled my hair to get my lunch money.
You kicked that bully from behind
And she never picked on me from that day on.

My Dos Chelus*
Though you got in trouble for doing that
You both said,
“It was well worth it, because you’re our blood.”

Well, that was 28 years ago,
And I’ll never forget that moment.
I’ll never forget how my feelings changed
And how you both changed as well
Becoming grown men I’ve learned to admire
And remembering that you taught me
How family is so dear.
I love you my Dos Chelus!
© mnrivera and ltgumataotao

*Dos Chelus: Two Brothers

Source: Our Native Daughters’ Reflection of Guam and Its People by Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera and Lois Taitano Gumataotao

No comments: