Be the change you want to see in this world

"Winning starts in the mind. Whatever the mind can conceive, it will achieve."
-Joaquin Nangauta Naputi

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, November 12, 2008



Hafa Adai! As part of my commitment to continue to share cultural poems relating to our beautiful island of Guam and its people, here’s Korasón Poem #47 titled Kahit. Enjoy!

Kahit

I enjoy eating kahit or orange as we know it
For it was one of my favorite fruits
As a child and still is to this day.
When August rolled around the corner
I knew it was orange harvest time once again.

I remember how my brothers, sister and I
Would scramble around to pick the oranges
That suddenly all came falling down
After my dad hit all the tree branches with utmost force.
And if we weren’t careful enough
To dodge the falling oranges
We’d sometimes get hit on our backs, arms or legs.

Although it was hard work to pick all the oranges
I tried my best to fill up my sack to the very top
So that I may peel and enjoy
As many oranges to eat with much delight!
© mnrivera and ltgumataotao

*kahit: orange

Source: Our Native Daughters’ Reflection of Guam and Its People by Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera and Lois Taitano Gumataotao

No comments: